Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Foot in My Mouth!

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday and I figured that it was a good time to introduce the idea of sacrifice to Luis and Nadya (Lent is the current CL topic in school also). So over breakfast they mentioned that they were going to get ashes imposed on them in school -- the 1st-time for both of them.

I start by telling them that Ash Wednesday is the beginning of Lent when we prepare for the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus, and that it's a time for sacrifice because Jesus died for us to save us, blah blah blah.

As an example, I said, since Luis loves chips, maybe he can give that up for the next 40 days and Nadya can give up sweets. And that's as far as the conversation went because after that they started talking about other things that they love and can't give up. Or so, I thought.

And then over dinner, I asked Luis what treat he would like to have since he ate all his dinner and drank his milk -- and he goes, "But I can't have chips, right Mom? It's our sacrifice!". And I say, "So you won't eat chips until Easter? What about me?". And Luis says, "You can't have any chips, too." Talk about putting my foot in my mouth -- and now I can't think of anything else but eating chips!

Here are pics of Nadya and Bianca with their 1st-ever cross on their foreheads. Luis had Phys Ed yesterday and the cross was long gone by the time he got home.

No comments: